Crossing Iowa

We crossed the Missouri river to get into Iowa and the Mississippi river to leave. There were homes with sandbags still in place on the Missouri. We got off the Interstate today and drove on US 34. It was a nice change. If I thought I was in industrial farm country crossing Nebraska, Iowa was even more intense. There were fields of soybeans alternating with corn and alfalfa in-between. There were abandoned farms all along the way with barns and brick silo's falling down and houses deteriorating.

There were many small signs identifying the crops:
'Pioneer, a Dupont business'; 'Kruger Yields'; 'Sure start'; 'Pioneer-Science with service'
Each small sign had a combination of letters and numbers to identify the strains.

We saw dozens of loaded coal trains headed west. Had our first Amish wagon sighting, and saw a Trailways Bus Depot.

I got to visit my friend Elizabeth and meet her husband Paul and four month old Merideth.

Tomorrow onward to Peoria and Thrift Store shopping.
---
De Williams
all that I could ever want, I already have
http://followjoy.blogspot.com/

Popular posts from this blog