The Day in DC

We started on a Metrobus that picked us up at our RV park. That took us to the Metro where my prepaid card refused to work and I was stopped by security. My card had become demagnetized so she took my word about when I bought it. From then on I had to show it to security whenever I entered and exited the subway.

We spent the first while walking around the Mall, starting at the Capitol and ending at the White House. Everything is pretty secure and you can't get very close. There were men with guns visible in a variety of places. The curbs are all made from marble. The Viet Nam Memorial was very emotional to visit. I grew up near Fort Carson, a major base for deployment overseas. John was glad not to find the names of some fellow sailors he had sailed with that went onto other assignments. The guides are under plexiglass with names alphabetically listed with the panel number and line number they appear on the wall.

We rode a local bus for $1 that took us around Georgetown and back to Union Station, An active, well kept train station . We had a late lunch and then braved the Metro back.

The novelty had definitely worn off for me. I can't wait to get home. We still have relatives to visit farther south and the entire United States to drive across. It is probably the urban environment that has gotten me. I will be okay once we go rural again.

Popular posts from this blog